Wednesday, June 14, 2017

Peony - The strawberry dessert paradise 딸기 디저트 천국에 가고 싶으면 피오니에 오세요!


I have heard so many Korean people recommending me Peony (피오니) when I ask for strawberry cake shop. It is well know for its strawberry as it comes in a variety of types and flavours. They have strawberry cakes, strawberry shaved ice and many other desserts like tiramisu! When I first done my research on it last year, it was in a building in Hongdae, located on the second floor. The road to the building was hard to walk because it was a slope. I was so sad to only realise they have moved to a new location when I reached there. However, it was kinda hard for me to located the new place because all the post and articles about them was directing me to the old address (I guessed they just moved not too long ago so no updates have been made yet).


Thank god, after a few months since my first hunt, I finally manage to get to the new place, still in Hongdae, but much more easier to find.

I didn't take much photo of the interior because it was so crowded and I try to avoid taking photos with other people inside. So I took some photos of the food and the exterior of the shop. Their cakes so simple yet very elegant! The look of it is just fascinating. If you are someone like me who likes simple and cute things, something white and pastel, this is your go to place!


Because I was cafe hoping that day, I had too much cakes, so I only ordered two cakes, the strawberry short cake (5,200won) and dark chocolate cheesecake (5,000won).


The strawberry short cake beats all other strawberry cake I have ever tasted. The cake itself is so fluffy! Not dense at all, not too sweet, not too dry. It has the perfect number of layer of cake and cream. The layering is so satisfying to look at. The decoration of the cake is simple yet pretty. Too pretty for me to eat at first.

Doesn't it looks like it is made of snow?

The dark chocolate cheesecake is also a must to try! The cheesecake is so dense with cheese flavour. Although it is chocolate cheesecake, the cake wasn't too cloy for my palette. It was just nice. You can taste both chocolate and cheese. It wasn't too sweet or sticky. It doesn't have the base cookie/layer like most of the cheesecake I've seen, just pure cheesecake only. But it still tasted heavenly.


Just a fact, Korea's strawberries are very much different from Malaysia. I have tasted Malaysia's strawberries numerous times and I can hardly find a sweet one, let alone a big one. However, due to Korea's weather, their strawberries are really large in size, it can actually grow as large as your fist. The best thing is that is taste sweet! So you can see Korea is coming up with so many different desserts made up of strawberries such as shaved ice, yogurt smoothie, fruit sandwich, cakes, tarts, milk and etc.

Korea's fruits are really expensive especially imported fruits such as mango, kiwi, banana and more. Strawberry is one of the fruits that I usually eat in Korea because it is slightly cheaper compared to other fruits and they are really worth the price.

Korea strawberries often sold in boxes like these and the price varies according to the size and number of the strawberries.

This box of strawberries costed around 4,000won, less than RM 16. The size of the strawberries are bigger than the one you can find in Malaysia and taste x100 time sweeter, no joke. I bought it from a lady who was selling strawberries at night along the street from subway station to Mangwon market.

I truly truly recommend Peony for people who likes cakes for dessert to try this out when you are in Hongdae. The food they offer is quite consistent. Hardly any negative comments. A lot of Koreans actually bought their cakes for birthday celebrations.

psst: their take out box is elegant too! Totally my style.

The habit of collecting receipts comes in handy!

Are you dying to go? Here's the direction to go to Peony!

It is located in Hongdae, however by walking, it is definitely closer to Sangsu station. So i would recommend any travellers who use subway as their main transportation in Seoul to get off at Sangsu station, line 6 (exit 1).

Address: 408-8, Seogyo-dong, Mapo-gu, Seoul
서울 마포구 서교동 408-8

Phone: 02-333-5325

Operation hours: 12:30 - 22:30 (everyday)




지도 크게 보기
2017.6.18 | 지도 크게 보기 ©  NAVER Corp.

You can also click here Peony (피오니) for navigation!

0 comments:

Post a Comment